• Login:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite Dangerous

Iconic Superstar

FIFA 24/7 Platinum Supporter

Supports
    Chelsea

Elite Dangerous

I've just read (OPM #131, Jan-17) that Elite Dangerous: Horizons is coming to PS4. After the debacle that was NMS, I'm wary about getting excited about this.

It is, of course, a (enhanced) port of the PC version as it is now and from what I can tell it inhabits the same world as the PC players. I assume we'll be playing with PC gamers; Sony has done this in the past. I believe that this was an Xpox timed exclusive, so I wonder if we'll be able to play with Xpox gamers, too. This has been mooted as a possibility in the past.

And why not? The PS 4 & XBone are pretty much PC-based consoles, so it surely can't be that difficult to get them to talk nicely to each other. It shouldn't matter in our modern, connected world what console you prefer to use.

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    That's a rather impressive ship ID.

Last edited by Xemik; 3rd July 2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Changed to retouched photo

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    After ther NMS fiasco I've been wary of posting anything about this, but first impression are favourable. It's tough, very tough. It all plays out in real time, so if you start a 12 hour mission at 5pm you must finish it before 5am the next day. So no sneaking off to bed till it's done!

I haven't actually shot anyone yet (currently in Solo mode), so I can't say how good the combat is. I had 500k at one time before I bought the above ship & upgraded it. I'm hoping to play Explorer, but we'll see how it goes.

Landing & docking is so frustrating; mainly because you have to be pointing forward to land. So many times I've been exactly over the spot, but not facing forward, so can't land. What sort of spacecraft can't rotate 180 on the spot? It's rather annoying to be fined for loitering over the landing spot that you've been allocated! Seriously?

Still, it doesn't take long before you start to understand how it all works, especially during the 20 minute journey that some planetary journeys require. The original Elite had a 'hop' facility that allowed your ship to jump a short distance very quickly & reduce the boredom. If this has this, I don't know how to do it. I suppose I could always go to a combat zone if I need more excitement.

If everyone on here buys ED: Horizons, we could set up a F247 save zone for us all to play together in. I may do that anyway & post it here. Rye/Jas, I assume you have no objections to me doing this, just in case...

Administrator
    Supports
    Fair Play
    Yeah go for it.

Sounds like an interesting game!
    "The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.
    - Danny Blanchflower

YouTube.com/Ry3Productions

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    Yeah go for it.

Sounds like an interesting game!
    Doesn't look like I can. It seems I can only set up a private group in my name & I don't see any way to change that. Seems very odd.

So I've set up a group under Xemik if anyone decides they'd like to play without being shot down by Randoms.

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    It just occurred to me while ferrying a demanding passenger around the universe for 1m CR, I'm just doing a job for money; fake money!

I'd just arrived at her first destination when she turns around & states she needs some stuff before she'll visit. Hang on, we're already here at the visitor beacon! So I have to find a system that sells what she wants, then come back. <sheesh> Thank goodness for the Elite app[1] that tells me where the nearest source is.

Now I have 28 jumps to the next destination & I only have 10 hours to do it in and this game is in real time, too.

Why am I playing a game about getting paid pretend money for doing jobs?

[1] I'm currently flying a Cobra Mk III, but want a Cobra Mk IV. Nostalgia, all right? So I used the app to find a system that has one for sale, but none of them had it. I was on my way to another that was supposed to have one, when I got this job. My ship current has a spare seat if any of you fancy some multi-crew action.

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    Gaming nostalgia is a dangerous thing. Seems that lots of old PS games are being resurrected for the PS4. Crash Bandicoot is the latest craze & while I enjoyed the level on Uncharted, I don't get why we'd want to play the same old game simply with better graphics.

I enjoyed the Ratchet & Clank remake, so not all nostalgia is bad, I suppose, & it can introduce the games to a new audience. The trouble is though gaming has moved on & looking back can tarnish the memories of those games we grew up with. I loved Primal on the PS, so I decided to buy the game from the PSStore, but, sadly, it just doesn't have the appeal now. The Legacy of Kain was a brilliant trilogy, but trying to play it today with it's awkward controls ruins the experience.

So, to get to my point, playing Elite Dangerous does stir up all the old memories of the hours I spent on the original BBC B/Master than latterly PC versions. It still retains the old gameplay that made it so compelling & adds a few modern touches to keep up the interest.

I'm not sure if my old Beeb tactics work in the modern game, but I couldn't help but buy a Cobra Mk III as soon as I could afford it (I actually want a Mk IV, but can't find one), fit a fuel scoop & clear off into deep space.

So, yes, nostalgia can be dangerous, but in this case, it's Elite Dangerous & what I've been missing for a decade or so.

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    My Cobra Mk III, but where can I buy a Mk IV? Can't find one anywhere.

I did a few trades runs to Lave yesterday & pottered through the Leesti stystem. For those that don't know, these are two of the system ion the original Elite. A lot of memorable systems in this region.

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    Elite is undoubtedly my all time number one game and this version builds very nicely on the 1984 heritage, but...

...maybe it's just me. Modern games seem to me to 'cheat' or tweak the way the game responds to our inputs. Fifa/PES are classic example so this. While many people claim that there is no scripting in these games, I reckon anyone who has played this to any great extend will start to notice the way these games try to manipulate the outcomes. So what has this got to do with ED?

Well, one of the trickier things we have to do is dock/land. The original game was rock hard when it game to docking; most people bought a docking computer as soon as they could afford one. In this modern version docking can be tricky but it's nowhere near as difficult. So is this why the game suddenly appears to decide to 'break' the controls?

I've docked at times at an angle when I think there's no way I should have, but all of a sudden I'm making perfect approaches & the darn ship will not land. You use the lateral controls but they send the ship off in odd directions. Why? I wonder if I'm missing something & gravity is playing games with me, but if I get brassed off & quit, when I reload I almost always make a prefect landing.

I have about 1 in 10 landings where the controls go AWOL & it's very annoying!

Iconic Superstar

Supports
    Chelsea
    My latest ship till I've saved up 6m.

Diamondback Explorer

What was I saying about this being hard work? I've got 100% affinity with the Federation, but can't rank up till I've got 100% rep' so I went looking for jobs. Came across 4 in one station; all black box recovery jobs. How hard can they be, especially as I have between 2 to 5 days to complete?

Ha! First signal I found easily enough, It's in space, so should be easy to find the box, but as I'm scanning 3 ships attack me & I have to leg it. Right then, I look planetside for the next one. Can't find it, but got loads of minerals while I was looking. Not extremely a wasted trip, so I decided to try one of the other. As I left the planet, I found the signal - in space! Seriously? Anyways, I go to the spot find said box, promptly ram it & destroy it.

<sigh> Then I find a new signal, manage to get the box this time, but get attacked as I turn to leave. I decide to run. However, the jump drive doesn't kick in in the usual 30 secs, but takes 3 minutes to charge! WTF? Too late to turn & fight, I just have to hang on & the drive finally kicks in with only 6% ship integrity left. Phew!

Since my ship is an explorer build it's not so great in a dogfight, I try to avoid all combat. I've only just gone up to Mostly Harmless.